Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Things I've Learned...

  I thought I'd be a bit more general with this post and see if I can cut down on length. Fingers crossed.
  Here are a few things I've learned, observed, and been told since arriving in Scotland.

Basic Stuff:
  -They don't say "yes ma'am" and "no sir" here. It has something to do with "ma'am" and "sir" being reserved for nobility and royalty in times gone by, and I've been told by locals more than once not to say it. This Georgia peach has just been trying to be polite like her momma taught her, but I am slowly making the adjustment.
  -Fun words and sayings. Krystal actually had a mini Scottish dictionary for me upon my arrival, so I need to  find some good ones in there for you to enjoy. "Chuffed" and "bletherin" are my favourites so far I think. Also notable are "midges", the little flying pests similar to "skeeters" in the South. :) Locals say they are "going to hospital" rather than "going to THE hospital". An umbrella is a "brolly", which I love. There are many more I'm sure I'm forgetting, but I have a few more weeks to share them!

  -Food. I did try haggis, but it wasn't done traditionally apparently so I have to have another go at it. I'm told to decline any colored pudding I'm offered. Black, white, purple, the lot. Google it if you're wondering. I plan on staying away from it all. They butter EVERYTHING here. Seriously, the Scots and Paula Dean could go head-to-head. Sandwiches and burgers come with both pieces of bread buttered, so either order something else or see if they can do it without, which is normally not worth the weird looks you'd get. Juice or "squash", rather, is generally uber-concentrated and has to have water added to it before drinking it. They don't refrigerate eggs, which is the strangest thing to me! Go figure? Cookies are biscuits, fries are chips. Lunch is dinner (sometimes) and dinner is tea, unless it's afternoon tea. What? Definitely some good Lord of the Rings jokes there. Tea and coffee are second to breathing, and they don't really believe in artificial sweeteners. Fortunately they do sell it, however, and that was one of my first purchases for my morning cup-o-Joe. I have enjoyed the produce here though-it is all amazingly fresh. The fruit especially is GREAT. There's more I know I'm forgetting, but I'll mention it soon enough I'm sure.
  -Nature. Is incredible. You can just see for MILES everywhere you go, which makes for fantastic drives no matter where you're headed. Clouds move incredibly fast and the weather changes at the drop of a penny, several times a day. We've really only had about three rainy days though, so I can't complain. I definitely prefer this over the Georgia heat and humidity. :) The climate here on the coast makes everything green. That can be seen just below and all over Facebook. The flowers are SO fresh in supermarkets and even better outside in gardens and on the hills; I feel like I'm in Alice and Wonderland at some points.

   -Cars and such. I've gotten used to driving on the wrong side of the road, but not quite to the steering wheel being on the wrong side. I generally head for the right side and meet a laughing driver who ask if I plan to drive. Whoops. I'll get the hang of it eventually. I've also noticed a greater variety in colors of autos here, which I didn't expect. Neutral colored cars are definitely a majority, but when you do see colored cars it's a different hue than you'd see in the States. There is also a car that is two-tone pink and white that we call Madeleine's car. Not something I see at home. Roads are windy and narrow and hilly. Drivers are brave souls. Especially double-decker bus drivers. Oh, also, I saw my first Toyota pick-up truck in town yesterday. Hallelujah.
  -Walking. Being in a small town has been great! I love being able to walk practically everywhere, no doubt about it. Walking is not just the most common mode of transportation, it's a lifestyle. I've already gone on several walks with friends with no specific destination in mind. A walk and a wee blether on a fine afternoon? I sure don't mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment