Thursday, June 13, 2013

Safe and Sound

Disclaimer: I doubt any other posts will be this detailed or scatterbrained...I've only had a day and a half to write about (ha) and I'm still recovering from jet lag so my processing (and grammar) is a wee bit spotty. I'm also not proofreading.
After an exciting start to my journey with a delayed and then rushed flight, I have arrived and settled in! Krystal and her friend Bonnie met me at the Aberdeen airport and we headed to Stonehaven. Driving on the "wrong" side of the road was one of the first things to get used to as we made our way out of the city. The drive to Stonehaven was beautiful and GREEN-I was blown away at the view around every turn, despite the cloudy sky. Once back in Stonehaven, we drove through the center of town to see a few major landmarks before going home to Nathan and Krystal's. At home I was greeted by Miles and Madeleine and got to meet Haley, who was watching the munchkins while Krystal was away (Nathan was at a pastor's conference Tuesday through today). After chatting with Haley and her mom and getting a tour of the house, Krystal, the kids, and I had lunch followed by nap time. Nap time is and probably will be my favorite for the next couple days. :) After resting we took a lovely tour of the coastal side of Stonehaven. I've included pictures below! As you can see, the day cleared up perfectly to reveal just how beautiful it is here. I am still blown away that I get to be here all summer. After taking the kids to the park, we picked up fish n chips from the UK's best fish n chips joint (really, it's been voted as such, how fortunate) and took our food to a picnic area overlooking the sea. Perfection. Picture proof of that can be found on Facebook. After making our way home, I dragged myself upstairs and crashed hard. Somehow I managed to keep my eyes open til about 7:30, so I had a solid night's sleep :)
This morning (Thursday) we got up and headed to the bus stop after breakfast! We rode up front and "up top" per Miles and Madeleine-and me secretly- to Johnshaven, the little fishing village where Nathan and Krystal lived when they first arrived in Scotland. It shouldn't go unmentioned that the views on the way were incredible: rolling green hills for days complete with a collection of cows and sheep and windmills. In Johnshaven we met Sheena, a lovely lady from the church. She has a beautiful home right on the coast (pictures soon) and we had a great time playing on the rocks, popping seaweed pods, and catching critters "at sea". I would like to mention that almost all the rocks and stones that made up the beach were purple. Best beach ever. I had a chance to get to know Sheena while Krystal went up the street for a haircut. We had lunch and tea (of course) and just a lovely visit all around! When we made it back to Stonehaven we were greeted by Nathan at the bus stop and have since been home visiting and having dinner (supper? I'm not sure yet). Jet lag is setting in so I will probably make it long enough to unpack before I crash.
Thank you all for the love and prayers for my adventure over! All the notes, comments, and likes have really been wonderful.
Love,
E
NOTE: I now have a hair appointment at the place Krystal gets hers done next Wednesday and am accepting summer hair suggestions.
Words learned: chuffed-pleased, excited,: I'm chuffed to see you!
Favorite sight (so far): view of the town from the boardwalk, pictured 1st below

No comments:

Post a Comment